Monday 13 April 2009

Autodock email list

As a structural biologist I am used to the excellent ccp4 email list populated by the best crystallographers in the world. It is sometimes rather intimidating to post a question, however you always know that you will get an excellent answer...

...and then you have the autodock email list... oh dear...

Although there are one or two people who seem to be genuine scientists, the rest of the posts seem to be written by clueless students just looking to take short-cuts on their projects. I presume that because autodock is free software various teachers around the globe have set assignments using it, however the result seems to be an inundation with stupid questions written in text speak. This is a real shame because molecular docking is a potentially exciting technology which could well benefit from the type of discussions held on the ccp4 email list. I suppose I should just give up on the list, however every now and again something interesting gets written. Perhaps the guys at scripps should think about moderating the list in order to improve the quality?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I'm currently administrator of the AutoDock mailing list and I agree that some of the post are from users with little or no background in computing. We have created a new forum (http://mgl.scripps.edu/forum) that would alleviate this problem. However, I find myself spending more time trying to get rid of spam messages and I would appreciate any help in moderating this new forum. Please email me if you'd like to be a moderator in this form. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete